Sunday 13 May 2007

Seafood for Little Foodie Snuffles

The boys both have snuffles which might explain the painful behaviour exhibited these last few days. (As a mother it's your duty to look for excuses to explain away any tricky behaviour). A cheering tastebud assault was needed and when hubby agreed to drive to a nearby town and visit Morrisons on a Sunday (the nearest place we could get seafood today) it was greeted with a big smile. While he was out I watched The Wizard of Oz with the boys... My choice. The suggestion was met with disdain when I first suggested it. Little even asked if it was in colour because he knew I'd loved it as a little girl... Honestly - the cheek of it. Anyway we watched it and they thoroughly enjoyed it...

We were thinking... calamari and prawns in garlic oil with lovely fresh crusty bread to mop up the fragrant oily juices (Mmmmm, dreaming) but Morrisons didn't have good squid or prawns (Their reason #? a trained fishmonger in every store! Just not today. .) H chose some cartons of mixed seafood and a carton of prawns with shells on, he also got an octopus for good measure.

As we didn't have any paella rice I made Fideos (Also called Paella de fideos. Like paella but made with pasta instead of rice). It's good any day, but on a rainy day like today, it's super good.

Fideos (more than fed 2 adults & 2 children - the picture shows what was left after one serving each - we had 2 servings each.)
400g of fideos (like 1cm pieces of spaghetti, today we used tiny stars - estrellas)
400g mixed seafood (prawns, squid, mussels, etc)
50ml olive oil
1 medium onion finely chopped
1 red pepper (we used tinned red pepper as we always do-we prefer fresh peppers raw)
2 cloves garlic crushed
100g peas (fresh or frozen - Oops, I forgot these!)
2 very large tomatoes chopped into 1cm pieces or half a tin of chopped tomatoes
1 litres of chicken or fish stock
Small pinch of ground cumin
Small pinch of saffrom
Small pinch of paprika
Tiny handful of fresh thyme finely chopped
Pinch of salt and a few grinds of black pepper

Heat the oil and gently fry the onions and garlic for 5 minutes. (If using red pepper add this now too, if using cooked pepper then add at end of 5 mins).
To the litre of stock add the cumin, saffron, paprika and thyme.
Add the pasta to the pan, then the tomatoes and stock and stir well.
Cook on a medium heat for 5 minutes.
Add the seafood and cook for further 5 minutes.
Add salt and pepper if using and it's ready to serve.

Coconut for dessert from The Ivory Coast (oh the food miles - shudder!). That's what happened yesterday when father and sons went shopping... Dada, can we have this, oh and that?

The octopus and prawns are in the fridge!! Maybe later?

6 comments:

Kelly-Jane said...

Hope little and small are feeling a bit better. Your pasta looks really lovely. I managed to get some star pasta (for the first time!) a few weeks ago, I must dig it out :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, I sure wish I could eat seafood! I have never really liked it and it turns out I am allergic so I guess that's probably why! I envy people though when I see them enjoying it so much! I do hope little and small are much feeling better!

Freya said...

Sounds delicious! Sure to get the tastebuds tingling again! I love the star pasta, I bought some from the US and used it in a soup. So cute!

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Hi Kelly-Jane,The kids are worse with behaviour to match, Aaarrghh!
Marie, you poor thing. I couldn't imagine not being able to eat seafood.
It did Freya, We're having the octopus and prawns tonight and
I LOVE STAR PASTA. I get bags and bags of it in Spain as I can never find it here, apart from an Italain wholesaler who would require that I buy boxes of the stuff. I do love it but even I couldn't use that much:) Amanda

Ros said...

Morrison's is a funny old store. My local one in Shepherd's Bush isn't good for much at all, but when I visit them out of town they seem to be great with exciting stuff like octopus.

This sounds like a great dish. I don't think I've come across star pasta. I think I might try orzo as a substitute.

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Hi Ros, Thank you,
I think the orzo would work or you could get normal spaghetti & bash it up into small pieces.
Amanda

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs