Wednesday 30 April 2014

Live Below the Line 2014 - Day Three

Today I am tired and I don't want the boys to make lots of noise. It might have something to do with getting up before 6am to make flatbreads for packed lunches. I can't think straight and yet I have had enough to eat. Lack of protein maybe? The others have all had chorizo and cheese in their lunch today and they're all positively bouncing around. My husband felt the way I do now yesterday.

How do people function when they don't have the choice to eat the right things? I can totally understand why people end up buying longlife cakes or stuff that they don't have to prepare or think about. I can't even begin to imagine how hard it would be for the people who have to walk for miles just to get water. It feels like someone put cottonwool in my head and I don't want to think about food. Which is crazy bonkers mad as I always think about food. Cooking is usually my relaxing time. I do it with love and really enjoy seeing people eat what I've made.

I wrote that at about 5pm. I felt grumpy and a bit shaky. I was starting to prepare dinner. I also boiled some eggs. The others wanted to go for a walk but I couldn't be bothered. You see... grumpy. I had a boiled egg while they were out and 20 minutes later felt a bit better. I carried on making what turned out to be the most successful dinner so far. Even better it cost .83p to feed the 4 of us. Happy!

What we consumed today...
Breakfast: Husband and the boys all had porridge made with water and milk. I had one of the flatbreads I'd made with 1 slice of chorizo.
Lunch: Husband and the boys had flatbread, chorizo, cheese, carrot and cucumber. Youngest also took a banana for break. I had the soup which I didn't finish last night with a small flatbread.
Dinner: Spaghetti with a sauce made with the cheap carton of tomatoes with grated carrot, finely chopped onion, a stock cube dissolved in a little hot water. Plus a little grated cheese. The boys had one boiled egg each after dinner. I had a boiled egg before dinner.

I wrote this earlier..... It's food and we won't be going to bed hungry. Not sure there will be any table talk today... Now in a more positive frame of mind I can report there was lots of table talk. The psychology of food and the impact it can have on moods always fascinates me. We're over halfway and we've all agreed that it's a low level hunger that we've sometimes felt but it's the lack of choice that has been the hard thing so far.

Anyway, we are really and I mean REALLY very happy that people have been kind enough to donate and we've raised almost double what we set out to. Now that makes it more than worthwhile so a big thank you from us. xx


No comments:

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs